Thanks Thanks:  62
Likes Likes:  76
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muzzy's A/C Hack

1. Top Of Page | #1

Muzzy's A/C Hack

I've seen a lot about this on Facebook, and I wonder if anybody here has done it.

I live in Florida, and my black 2017 RAM 2500 AC just doesn't cut it.

I regularly change the air filter and wish for two things:

1. The fan blew harder (I've swapped the resistor already)
    2. The AC got colder.

This shuts off coolant to the heater core, keeping the air-conditioned air from warming up.

Are there any worries with installing this?

I know it's good to open it occasionally so the coolant in the heater core doesn't become stagnant, but is there anything else I should be aware of?

I'm more of a computer guy than a truck guy.

Thanks for any input!

Jay

2017 Ram 2500

2. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, Corkey thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Muzzy's A/C Hack

Have you taken the temperature of the A/C air blowing with a thermometer?

Could it be the Freon is low and needs to be recharged?

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, Corkey thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, Corkey liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

Muzzy's A/C Hack

I have, and it's considerably cold, but if I can make it colder, I'm all for it.

It was about 54 coming out of the driver's vent.

If they made a fan that blew harder, that would be my first purchase.

Unfortunately, they don't.

2017 Ram 2500

6. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, Corkey thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4
    DEFUND EPA I WILL STAND sootmaster's Avatar

User Info Menu

Muzzy's A/C Hack

Hello, you can try a pair of needle nose vise grips and clamp one hose with enough pressure to collapse, not mare it.

You will have no control over the heater.

Then, drive and see.

I use this method when the blend door is bent or the binding is not fully closed.

It is a proper way to have MAX efficacy, not max load.

Many manufacturers have a vacuum or electronics heater hose diverter valve to do this.

Blowing harder will require removing the blower and looking at the face of the evaporator core to see how much fiber and dirt is clogging the fins.

Use the RECIR close and Only in CAB air to be conditioned.

Most HVAC systems default to outside air and put heavy heat loads and humidity forms on the evaporator, reducing the cool air to transfer heat onto the evaporator, then freon to be sent out to the condenser core.

Anything you can do to reduce ANY heat source and humidity will significantly improve the comfort of the cab.

Wash your condenser core and make sure there is not alot of material behind the condenser, intercooler, and radiator.

Also, you hear the clutch fan coming on and then off.

07.5 4x4 Yukon Detroit locker Rear AAM Elect-Front Locker, DOR Front Arm, ATS/Destroke Allison 1000 Conversion W/All 3-Billet Shafts, My Stage-5+ Allison, ATS Five Star TQ Converter, ATS CoPilot, Turbo America Custom VGT, Steed Speed Manifold, (UpGrading Compound Pusher turbo s480 soon) Motorsports Diesel 100% over custom Injectors, MotorSports Diesel 10.6 CP3, AirDog II 165-5G, Rail Pressure Relief 1-Stage, Update Common Rail, Mishimoto Intercooler, ARP 425 Studs, Hamilton Springs,Ret,PR

8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Muzzy's A/C Hack

I don’t think you can get much colder than that.

It wouldn’t hurt to have your A/C checked to see if the freon is in spec.

Humidity and heat significantly affect how the air feels coming out.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

9. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, Corkey liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

Muzzy's A/C Hack

Quote Originally Posted by sootmaster View Post
    Hello, you can try a pair of needle nose vise grips and clamp one hose with enough pressure to collapse, not mare it.

You will have no control over the heater.

Then, drive and see.

I use this method when the blend door is bent or the binding is not fully closed.

It is a proper way to have MAX efficacy, not max load.

Many manufacturers have a vacuum or electronics heater hose diverter valve to do this.

Blowing harder will require removing the blower and looking at the face of the evaporator core to see how much fiber and dirt is clogging the fins.

Use the RECIR close and Only in CAB air to be conditioned.

Most HVAC systems default to outside air and put heavy heat loads and humidity forms on the evaporator, reducing the cool air to transfer heat onto the evaporator, then freon to be sent out to the condenser core.

Anything you can do to reduce ANY heat source and humidity will significantly improve the comfort of the cab.

Wash your condenser core and make sure there is not alot of material behind the condenser, intercooler, and radiator.

Also, you hear the clutch fan coming on and then off.
    I have removed the blower, and the evaporator core looks surprisingly clean.

Honestly, I hate using the system in RECIR mode because, well, I vape.

I get tired of it automatically switching to RECIR, but thats another discussion.

Yes, I know it cools much faster that way.

I need to rewash the radiator this year.

With all the salt in the air, I rinse it with "Salts Gone."

2017 Ram 2500

11. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7
    DEFUND EPA I WILL STAND sootmaster's Avatar

User Info Menu

Muzzy's A/C Hack

You will Never COOL outside air into the truck enough during the day; it will cool well at night.

I understand that recir can reduce the humidity so low that your sinuses dry out at night.

RECIR puts the AC at the least heat load and less humidity, like entering your home, opening all doors and windows, and expecting 37-degree air.

The humidity of your area, 90% + -, will cause so much water to form and will not cool air. 55*-65* + is standard for outside air, none recir.

Low side pressure approx expansion valve 50-70 and hi side 275-300 RECIR 20-30 Hi side 175-200 can see the load the AC system is under; when not using RECIR, it puts the AC system under the max heat load.

On your airflow, Look around the under-dash area and flashlight loo for any foam seal on the case, plenum, or duck that may have dislodged.

With the blower on HI speed, take the measurement DVOM of the source wire on the blower motor to see if it is still 12+v and sometimes lose or paint the grounds.

I have a saying: if you are not using RECIR, you will be seeing me sooner and replacing the entire system after it's worn out and blown up from compressor failure.

No compressor can pump 275-375 for an extended time.

We will need to look between the seals and the front area on the radiator to see if there are any leaves and road material.

I also use a flashlight at night to see how many beams can be seen from the radiator to the front; if there is no light, what is blocking it?

Stuff in fins can use compressed air nozzles to back flush the fan side to front to see how much dirt is expelled.

07.5 4x4 Yukon Detroit locker Rear AAM Elect-Front Locker, DOR Front Arm, ATS/Destroke Allison 1000 Conversion W/All 3-Billet Shafts, My Stage-5+ Allison, ATS Five Star TQ Converter, ATS CoPilot, Turbo America Custom VGT, Steed Speed Manifold, (UpGrading Compound Pusher turbo s480 soon) Motorsports Diesel 100% over custom Injectors, MotorSports Diesel 10.6 CP3, AirDog II 165-5G, Rail Pressure Relief 1-Stage, Update Common Rail, Mishimoto Intercooler, ARP 425 Studs, Hamilton Springs,Ret,PR

13. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, watersupply189, Corkey thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

Muzzy's A/C Hack

Yes, I 100% understand RECIR and its advantages.

I also have a megacab, which doesn't help.

I will test the blower motor voltage and check for everything else you said; however, that was not the point of this post.

My question is, if I install Muzzy's AC hack, is there anything I need to be worried about?

2017 Ram 2500

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Corkey thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Re: Muzzy's A/C Hack

Quote Originally Posted by Outbreak View Post
    Yes, I 100% understand RECIR and its advantages.

I also have a megacab, which doesn't help.

I will test the blower motor voltage and check for everything else you said; however, that was not the point of this post.

My question is, if I install Muzzy's AC hack, is there anything I need to be worried about?
    Temporarily shutting off the coolant supply to the heater core shouldn’t cause any issues.

Please keep us posted on your results.

https://a.co/d/e3Sb0OS

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

17. Top Of Page | #10

Re: Muzzy's A/C Hack

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Temporarily shutting off the coolant supply to the heater core shouldn’t cause any issues.

Please keep us posted on your results.

https://a.co/d/e3Sb0OS
    Thank you! That is exactly what I ordered.

2017 Ram 2500

18. Thanks AK Bob, watersupply189, Corkey thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, Corkey liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast