Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: Engine Temp While Pulling A Load?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Engine Temp While Pulling A Load?

Hi all, I have my transmission tuned by DRD (RIP) and have noticed that in the high heat, I am getting engine temps ranging from about 219 up to 230+ if i am at any grade.

I also have a larger than OEM radiator installed in my truck, and it is still getting high temperatures.

Is this normal?

Should I be looking at issues like a water pump or something of that nature?

I have a full ranchhand-type bumper on the front that may reduce airflow a bit, but I have just been chalking it up to say it is hot as hell in Texas, and it is what it is.

I have to slow down.

Thanks!

Jerrod Miller
    2018 Ram 3500 CCLB DRW Black
    Spark Plugs upgraded with Ray @ DRD, Air Dog Fuel System, Beans Sump.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, Corkey, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

Re: Engine Temp While Pulling A Load?

It depends significantly on your transmission (68RFE vs. Aisin) and the load.

The HO trucks (mine) have the Aisin, which is better for towing heavy trucks.

220 Oil temp is about average for me when pulling an 18k trailer up 7% grades.

I mainly monitor EGT now.

You may try downshifting if you are getting a high temp.

It makes the oil pump/water pump run faster and pushes exhaust gas out faster.

Counterintuitive, I know, but thats how it works.

I also noticed an oil temp drop after "fixing" the motor.

I had a 20* drop in oil temp.

Also, there is a 20* drop in coolant temperature with the Fleece coolant bypass. 30* drop with the transmission cooler bypass as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk