Thanks Thanks:  45
Likes Likes:  55
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Built 67MM Turbo Testing?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Home Built 67MM Turbo Testing?

So I've wanted an upgraded turbo and wanted to experiment with a Cheetah, ATS, Tater built.

China redneck turbo, sure, and I'm shocked.

I got a new center section, new exhaust housing, and some parts from eBay.

I did a 67MM cold side from eBay, $299, a center section, and a new exhaust housing, $590.

A Mamba 10-blade D5+5 67mm wheel, $180 bucks, is less than $1000 bucks.

I made myself a screamer turbo, cheaper than those big-name brands that have issues.

So, first impressions of the turbo: Wow, just wow.

The turbo whistle is insane coming down to an idle exhaust brake, but it still works pretty well for a 67/67 high-flow exhaust turbine running RaceMe Ultra, can tunes to 200hp.

She gets it and hots 47psi before I let out.

EGTs are great, nothing over 1400, and, best of all, stock injectors.

It tows great daily drives on a 60hp tune, and I think the turbine wheel plays a huge part in how this thing spools up.

2018 2500 crew cab longbed 6.7,68RFE,3.42, 35"s,4" exhaust,smeding intake horn. Raceme ultra tuned

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Home Built 67MM Turbo Testing?

Quote Originally Posted by SSLandYacht View Post
    So I've wanted an upgraded turbo and wanted to experiment with a Cheetah, ATS, Tater built.

I did a 67MM cold side from eBay, $299, a center section, and a new exhaust housing, $590.

I made myself a screamer turbo, cheaper than those big-name brands that have issues.

The turbo whistle is insane coming down to an idle exhaust brake, but it still works pretty well for a 67/67 high-flow exhaust turbine running RaceMe Ultra, can tunes to 200hp.

It tows great daily drives on a 60hp tune, and I think the turbine wheel plays a huge part in how this thing spools up.
    I'd be curious on a sound clip.

Is it similar as a typical T51R mod?

It's basically a stock compressor cover inlet hogged out with a CNC machined billet piece that you generate a crazy whistle.

It's louder than the Fords with their setups.

What's the tolerance on the wheel to cover measure out at?

Congrats, on the build.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX, YUKON 4.56 GEARS W/ COVERS

3. Thanks AK Bob, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
    I'd be curious on a sound clip.

Is it similar as a typical T51R mod?

It's basically a stock compressor cover inlet hogged out with a CNC machined billet piece that you generate a crazy whistle.

It's louder than the Fords with their setups.

What's the tolerance on the wheel to cover measure out at?

Congrats on the build.
    I'm gonna try to upload some photos and a clip when I get a chance.

As for the compressor, it's running the stock silencer ring just machined out to fit the 67mm wheel.

As for clearance around the wheel to housing with feeler gauges I have about .005" seems pretty tight, but I have no touching.

It's using a 7 blade curved ball milled wheel.

I'm running a factory intake box and filter and whistles pretty good, but out the exhaust, the whistle is loud, like a 6.0 turbo.

I wasn't on the hunt for a turbo whistle, but more a what can a stock injectors canned tuned 6.7 run.

I was gonna do a 64/64, but my head told me to go big or go home, and I'm glad I did.

I was gonna do the T51R mod after a little research cutting my stock cover in half to take a look at how it worked.

I decided to keep it factory.

There's a relief built into the cover, I'm assuming, to combat turbo surging?

Dunno but couldn't justify the money to do the mod.

The only I guess downfall of this turbo build is the turbo seems it's just wants to go to the moon doesn't ever really stop pulling just keeps going and going like some turbos have a ceiling where they just go flat and power drops this one does not.

Next, I will have to toss some sticks in here and see what she can do

2018 2500 crew cab longbed 6.7,68RFE,3.42, 35"s,4" exhaust,smeding intake horn. Raceme ultra tuned

5. Thanks Corkey, AK Bob, watersupply189, Tjswa666.7l thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

7. Likes Corkey, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

This is the turbine side.

It's pretty wicked and gives a heck of a whistle.

I'll try to make a video tomorrow or Saturday of it.

I forgot to mention i also paired it with an ATS pulse flow manifold.

Soon, I'll get full 5''', but this is only the 4'' delete pipes installed

mamba.jpg

9. Thanks Corkey, AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

You have my attention.

I've been eyeing Cheetah but if I can throw together some parts for $1000 I'm in.

Care to share exactly what you bought?

Collector of Oddball Vehicles
    2022 RAM 2500 Laramie - Tuned, Banks Horn, 5" Stainless
    2004 Ford Excursion Limited
    2015 Chevrolet Caprice PPV - 6.0 LS - TSP Stage 2 LS3 Cam - E85 - 430whp
    1995 Toyota Supra - Built 3.0, T56 Magnum, 8.8" - 1074whp
    1994 Suzuki Samurai - Tracker 1.6 8v - 6.5:1 Tcase - 5.13 Gears on 35s

11. Thanks watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bigboost View Post
    You have my attention.

I've been eyeing Cheetah but if I can throw together some parts for $1000 I'm in.

Care to share exactly what you bought?

yeah i couldn't justify 3-5k for a turbo so i made one with impressive results. im going to make a video of what it sounds like this weekend it will be a phone video but you'll get the point whistle is nice added feature that i wasnt expecting and sounds kinda wicked.

Ebay i got a 67mm compressor cover,wheel and backing plate from turbochargerusa $299 (the backing plate sent with mine was for a HE351VE but not to worry ill explain)

Exhaust housing was from austin at turbolab of america $325 shipped

Center section was from KB diesel performance was $187 but if yours is good just use your original bearing housing

Turbo rebuild kit was $107 from turbolab of america.

Ebay MAMBA turbine was $180 true dimensions are 67.7mm/70.5mm so in the exhaust housing it was a little tight and i spoke with austin at turbo lab and agreed that i need to open it about 1mm for clearance. i used a foam barrel sander and opened the housing about .005" followed by a light hone with 180grit stones on a cylinder hone.

OK backing plates...there are a few styles. 07-12 HE351VE use a shallow backing plate with older style single seal and then theres 2 styles of the deeper backing plates which i believe was in the 2016-up models but some trucks had older styles ( i have a spare backing plate milled for 67mm wheel if needed for the newer deep dish backing plates if someone needs it) the dish im referring to is the thrust washer area theres a deep dish and and shallow dish. my new center section happened to be the deep dish one but still at HE300VG housing so i just swapped guts for my broken housing used the older HE351VE backing plate with single seal and turbine shaft is also a single seal which is fine it works in both HE351VE/HE300VG housings.

i choose to do a full new build so i can still drive my truck and topped it off with a ATS pulseflow exhaust manifold after seeing the stock manifold off the truck im glad i did cause all 6 cylinders litterally have to flow through 1.75'' hole which in my opinion is why these 6.7's are dying they cant get the heat out. im a little disappointed at cummins letting a botched POS like that allowed to roll out to consumers.... so if your gonna do a turbo do a manifold too or its kinda of a waste of time tryin to poop though a keyhole LOL i simpley choose to do ATS cause i can toss my emissions back on when needed and i think the ATS is a lilttle more robust then BD and less issues.

HERE ARE THE LINKS if theres any questions just ask

HE351VE He300VG Upgraded 67MM Cover Housing Kit For Dodge Ram 6.7L 2007-2018 | eBay

Turbo D5 Turbine Shaft Wheel For Holset HE351VE Cummins Dodge (67.7/70.5/5+5)US | eBay

Bearing Housing for 2013-2018 6.7l Dodge Cummins with HE300VG Turbo (kbdieselperformance.com)

he300g He351ve 67mm turbine housing upgrade – Turbo Lab of America (421b62.myshopify.com)

ATS Diesel Performance RAM 2500 Pulse Flow Exhaust Manifold Kit 204-927-2326 (07-18 6.7L RAM 2500) - Free Shipping (americantrucks.com)

13. Thanks AK Bob, watersupply189, Power247, Corkey, bigboost thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

OK, I took some clips to post here, but I'm having an issue figuring out how to post them.

Sorry, I'm stupid when it comes to tech, LOL.

Worst case, I can just send a text to anyone who wants to hear it, LOL.

15. Thanks watersupply189, AK Bob, Corkey thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Corkey liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

OK, I took some clips to post here, but I'm having an issue figuring out how to post them.

Sorry, I'm stupid when it comes to tech, LOL.

Worst case, I can just send a text to anyone who wants to hear it, LOL.
    The best way is to host your video on YouTube or Vimeo, then attach a URL link.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

17. Thanks watersupply189, Corkey thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Corkey liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

OK, I will give it a shot.

19. Thanks watersupply189, AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Corkey, AK Bob liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast