Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  11

Thread: 2014 Battery Low Voltage Light - Still Charging?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

2014 Battery Low Voltage Light - Still Charging?

I've got a 2014 RAM 2500 Cummins; I've been getting an intermittent low battery voltage light on the dash.

I have a RaceME Ultra and started watching Voltage on it.

The RaceME supply voltage (from the OBD 2 port) stays about 13.8; the pcm voltage also stays around that.

The dash says 13v on the screen when selected.

It jumps a lot when I select the actual alternator voltage on the raceme.

Is this the alternator possibly going out, or just a bad connection somewhere?

Given that the pcm and battery voltage never drops, I think of a bad wire or connection.

I've Googled for similar issues and only found issues where the alternator isn't charging, but mine is.

Sometimes the light stays on for just a minute; other times it's several minutes.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, Corkey, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 2014 Battery Low Voltage Light - Still Charging?

Quote Originally Posted by Tonybain42 View Post
    I've got a 2014 RAM 2500 Cummins; I've been getting an intermittent low battery voltage light on the dash.

I have a RaceME Ultra and started watching Voltage on it.

The RaceME supply voltage (from the OBD 2 port) stays about 13.8; the pcm voltage also stays around that.

The dash says 13v on the screen when selected.

It jumps a lot when I select the actual alternator voltage on the raceme.

Is this the alternator possibly going out, or just a bad connection somewhere?

Given that the pcm and battery voltage never drops, I think of a bad wire or connection.

I've Googled for similar issues and only found issues where the alternator isn't charging, but mine is.

Sometimes the light stays on for just a minute; other times it's several minutes.

Any help is appreciated.
    See the attached charging system operation information and scan for any trouble codes.

Attached Files Attached Files
    2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: 2014 Battery Low Voltage Light - Still Charging?

@Tonybain42 Also check for loose connections starting with the B+ wire that connects the alternator output to the passenger side battery.

See the wiring diagram attached.

Please keep us posted.

Attached Files Attached Files
    2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Thanks Corkey, diesel_dawg, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post