Thanks Thanks:  31
Likes Likes:  34

Thread: Rail Pressure Issues?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Rail Pressure Issues?

Hello everybody!

My 2011 is my first common rail after years of mechanical and Heui engines.

I picked up a basket case truck and needed to ensure my theory of operations was correct.

My first question is if there is a way to see if this truck has been tuned.

The DPF and cat are in far better condition than the rest of this exhaust so that it may have been deleted at one point.

I am in Colorado, so I can't have any weight loss surgery due to visual inspections.

I keep getting a P0191 and a P2BAC (likely due to the P0191) and have read a lot of threads about it that just die off without a conclusion.

The truck seems to run fine, but a poorly running CR will likely still feel better than my other trucks.

The codes always trigger when coasting to a stop from 40+ mph or when on an interstate offramp.

I come to a stop slowly, like I am loaded, so I assume with low RPM, the rail pressure drops long enough to trip the code.

I did get some records with the truck showing an EGR valve replacement and the fuel pressure regulator within 10k miles, so I think the last owner was chasing this and gave up.

I will be using Torque Pro and Alfa OBD to try and monitor commanded and actual rail pressures, but my question is what these pressures should be when coming to a stop or idling after a highway run.

For now, a third and last question is about rail plugs and what danger could come from deadheading the rail.

I see them being suggested for this issue, but my gut says that's a terrible idea for a stock daily driver.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

2. Thanks Corkey, AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Rail Pressure Issues?

I forgot to add that the first thing I did bringing this truck home was to change the oil and fuel filter with a Baldwin.

It's been a couple hundred miles, and the code reliably pops back when coming to a stop

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

4. Thanks Corkey, AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

It has been mentioned on this forum that tell-tale signs are left behind once a truck has been deleted.

The dealership can read this information on their scan tool, and I believe some higher-end consumer scan tools can also.

You could plug the rail pressure relief as a test, but I would recommend replacing it with stock rather than plugging it.

See the attached troubleshooting information on your trouble codes.

I agree that the P2BAC code is likely a result of the P0191.

Attached Files Attached Files
    2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, Corkey, Warpath thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, Corkey liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Thank you for the info!

So far, the sensor looks good, and we're off for return flow testing.

We have a nice snowstorm today, so that will have to wait a day or two.

8. Thanks Corkey, watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

It sounds like you are on the right track.

Attached is some information on return flow testing that you may also find helpful.

Please keep us posted.

Attached Files Attached Files
    2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

10. Thanks Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Because of a cold snap and not having a garage, I took it in, and the injector return flow is high enough to warrant a whole new set of injectors.

So far, I was quoted over 6k on a new set of injectors, which seems higher than my cheap *** wants to deal with.

I'll be doing some reading here on swapping those myself.

Thanks for the input, folks

I was sent from my Sears and Roebuck telegram icebox.

12. Thanks AK Bob, Corkey, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

My suggestion is BBI 0.1 Injectors and new feed tubes.

Ensure you can torque the injectors and feed tubes properly and keep a meticulous workspace.

2012 Mega Cab Long Box. CCS EFI Live. S475 over BD Screamer. Thuren Fab, Patton Fab, & EMF.

14. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mitchcook View Post
    My suggestion is BBI 0.1 Injectors and new feed tubes.

Ensure you can torque the injectors and feed tubes properly and keep a meticulous workspace.
    After seeing the reviews of DDP on here I think that is the direction I will go. That brings another noob question though. As I get older, I try to keep mostly stock trucks and the "stage" numbers vary a lot based on whose making what. Will I need a tune to run those injectors or to do anything special? I live in Colorado and we're subject to emissions testing.

With my powerstrokes, even the slightest increase in injector output needed a tune, so I'm a bit hesitant on anything over stock.

Thanks again for all of the input.

Sold the 7.3 yesterday to pay the "stupid tax" on this new truck.

Sent from my Sears and Roebuck telegram icebox

16. Thanks Corkey, AK Bob, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

If the injectors are different sizes, you'll need a retune for it to work properly.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

18. Thanks AK Bob, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Warpath View Post
    After seeing the reviews of DDP on here I think that is the direction I will go. That brings another noob question though. As I get older, I try to keep mostly stock trucks and the "stage" numbers vary a lot based on whose making what. Will I need a tune to run those injectors or to do anything special? I live in Colorado and we're subject to emissions testing.

With my powerstrokes, even the slightest increase in injector output needed a tune, so I'm a bit hesitant on anything over stock.

Thanks again for all of the input.

Sold the 7.3 yesterday to pay the "stupid tax" on this new truck.

Sent from my Sears and Roebuck telegram icebox
    @DDP Please advise, I see the BBI’s 0.1 are 4% more fuel compared to stock. Your recommendation is appreciated.

20. Thanks watersupply189, Warpath thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post