Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  18
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: New Guy in Jersey

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Just because they are the biggest doesn't mean they are the best. Sometimes the biggest tend to get away with more. Cortland is 4 hours from you with a good truck.

I wrote a thing on how to buy a 2nd Gem in the how too section. Check it out.

Most of the guys on this forum are really top notch mechanics. If you fond one somewhere, we have enough people to get eyes on one for you in many cases. I suggest you look at Florida or Texas. The Garbage State is a poor place for buying diesels. Most of the used ones around here have been screwed up by some misguided kid. I've looked at a half a dozen in the last year. Every one of them was FUBARed.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

2. Top Of Page | #12
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Canadiandiesel View Post
    Was the car dynoed?
    Yes. Although I believe it read a bit high as I was in disbelief myself. It was most likely in the 290-300 area, but that was the # put up so I'll go with it haha. But who knows, my tuner was a mad scientist.

3. Top Of Page | #13
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Just because they are the biggest doesn't mean they are the best. Sometimes the biggest tend to get away with more. Cortland is 4 hours from you with a good truck.

I wrote a thing on how to buy a 2nd Gem in the how too section. Check it out.

Most of the guys on this forum are really top notch mechanics. If you fond one somewhere, we have enough people to get eyes on one for you in many cases. I suggest you look at Florida or Texas. The Garbage State is a poor place for buying diesels. Most of the used ones around here have been screwed up by some misguided kid. I've looked at a half a dozen in the last year. Every one of them was FUBARed.
    Of course, I'm certainly not one to swear by the integrity of any stealership. I've read your how to a few times by now as well as a handful of other how to's 'what to look for when's from other sites. I'm definitely willing to travel for the truck. Florida would be fine but not sure about Texas. I'll be starting school soon and a trip to Texas and back would really require taking off a lot of time. But for the perfect truck I have no limits. Im not quite sure where to begin looking for out of state trucks though. Craiglist, autotrader, and eBay are what come to mind

4. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Gotchya

A good diesel here in Jorsey is hard to find. I had to go to Illinois to get what I wanted

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

I found one with some body damage but solid truck in NJ Kinda by accident too. I have a good eye of what is for sale where at this point. I don't have any 12V's around, but I always have a truck for sale. (3 as of the moment)

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

6. Top Of Page | #16
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I have a buddy in TX that I bet would drive part way to deliver a truck to you if you found one down there that caught your eye. I'd trust him to go over the truck and give me a solid thumbs up or down depending... Like poloraco said, you find it, someone on here will find a way to help you look it over and get it to you

7. Top Of Page | #17
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by F350Cummins View Post
    I found one with some body damage but solid truck in NJ Kinda by accident too. I have a good eye of what is for sale where at this point. I don't have any 12V's around, but I always have a truck for sale. (3 as of the moment)
    Awesome well I'll definitely appreciate if you'd keep an eye out!

8. Top Of Page | #18
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

New Guy in Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by thewildkarrd View Post
    I have a buddy in TX that I bet would drive part way to deliver a truck to you if you found one down there that caught your eye. I'd trust him to go over the truck and give me a solid thumbs up or down depending... Like poloraco said, you find it, someone on here will find a way to help you look it over and get it to you
    Honestly you guys have no idea how thankful I am. Right now I'm still waiting on a few things to be rid of the car and get my money but once I have it I'll definitely let you know. This is such a help guys

Last edited by Ziggylittles; 07-30-2014 at 08:05 PM. Reason: typo

9. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

What price range? Would you consider a 24V? a CR? Dually? cab type?

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

10. Top Of Page | #20
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by F350Cummins View Post
    What price range? Would you consider a 24V? a CR? Dually? cab type?
    All in all I have about $20,000. I don't have to spend all of it obviously, and if I need a couple more grand I can get it. I'm pretty firm on what I want though. 12v is a must, no dually, I need backseats whether it's an extended cab or quad cab (I think that didn't come to the 2nd gens till 98.5 though right?). And excuse my ignorance but what are you referring to as CR? Common rail is the only thing I could imagine as CR.

Overall these are the musts: 12v 2nd gen 2500, 5 speed, 4x4, back seats, power windows, stock (besides maintenance or safety stuff: kdp or 5th gear fixes etc), and in good condition outside/in. Like I said in the original post, I know this is what everyone wants but I'm willing to wait for the right truck. And I also believe I have a good amount of money that will give me some leverage in the market. Sellers know everyone wants these so if I have to slightly overpay to expedite getting a sweet truck, I'll do what I have to do.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast